WAGON WHEEL SAMS NEWSLETTER
Our October campout was held at Robidoux RV Park in Gering, NE. It was a beautiful week-end. We supported the Toys for Tots Drive conducted by ABATE. Around 17 riders and bikes participated in this Christmas in October event. Many toys and monetary donations were realized from this effort. In fact, toys brought to Robidoux RV Park filled 2 boxes. Our chapter furnished donuts, juice and coffee for the riders as well as served as a collection place for community residents to drop off toys.In addition to the tour, several members enjoyed playing Dominoes Friday night. All in all, it was a relaxing, fun-filled campout.
On Saturday afternoon, several chapter members toured historical locations in the Scottsbluff/Gering area that are not easily found without guidance to their location. On the Mormon Trail, we visited the gravesite of Rebecca Winters and learned the significance of this site to Mormon history. Then, we traveled south and west of Gering to the location of Oregon Trail swales, the location of Robidoux’ Trading Post on the Trail, the site of pioneer graves and tipi rings, Robidoux Pass and finally the site of the re-constructed Robidoux Trading Post in Carter Canyon. The weather was perfect for this tour and the landscape was gorgeous. It was a very enjoyable afternoon.
Highlights from the meeting include:
- The next meeting will be November 14 at 6:00 PM. We will have a Thanksgiving-themed dinner. Bart will deep fry turkeys furnished by Leroy/Jeanette Schreiner and Al/Lois Herbel. A sign up sheet was passed at the meeting with the following members bringing these foods: Cap/Janice ? pumpkin pies, Char/Jerry ? cranberry sauce, Doris/Bart ? sweet potatoes, Roy/Carolyn ? rolls & butter, Bob/Marcia ? green beans, Bonita/Charlene ? cranberry salad, Al/Lois ? mashed potatoes. Those who plan to attend and were unable to sign the sheet, please bring a covered dish to compliment the Thanksgiving theme.
- Dues need to be paid to Jeanette Schreiner by the November meeting so a roster and check can be sent to State for the 2016 membership. Dues will remain the same ($10.00) as last year.
- The schedule and location of potential 2016 campouts was discussed and tentatively planned. They include April ? Robidoux RV Park, May ? Chadron State Park, June – Ft. Robinson or Ash Hollow, July ? Lusk, August ? Lake Minatare, September ? Alliance, and October ? Robidoux RV Park.
- Keep America Beautiful called to say that money ($400.00) will be available for next year. The chapter decided to continue the highway pick up as we have done in the past. A requirement for next year is to recycle as much collected trash as possible and record the approximate amount of recycled material versus trash.
- We discussed several wonderful ideas to add spice and fun to our meetings and campouts. Those ideas include having a Progressive supper at a summer campout, have an ice cream social, bring foods to the potluck supper that begin with the letter of your last name, cream can dinner, soup supper, deep-fry turkey dinner, tailgate supper with brats and hamburgers, breakfast or brunch at a summer campout when it is so hot, time for games in the winter and summer, tours. Be thinking, can we come up with even more ideas.
- Bart provided us with a summary of the September State Meeting. The rally theme next year will be ?Honoring America? . Our chapter will have the raffle on Friday of the rally. Our chapter will need to prepare a centerpiece to be raffled off during the rally. A donation of pancake flour is needed for the breakfast at the rally. If anyone knows a grain company who might be interested in donating pancake flour, please let Bart know. The fall state meeting will be held August 27th in North Platte at the Holiday RV Park. We need to remember Fred and Sandy Hatch with prayers as they experience health issues.
- Many chapter members have experienced health problems this past month. (Doris ? rotator cuff surgery, Betty ? eye surgery, Cap ? up-coming back surgery, Jeanette ? upcoming injection for back pain, Roy ? adapting to oxygen and recovering from heart problems. I hope I did not miss anyone but we need to remember their health needs in our prayers.
November Birthdays: John Kreman (7), Marcia Boots (18), Virginia Mues (18)
November Anniversaries: None
RV Tip The Nebraska Good Sams has a Facebook page. By going to it and ?liking? it, you can keep in contact with others in the state as well as learn about the great adventures of other chapters in the state.